Monday, February 18, 2013

I Need Sexy Back

With all of the unappealing symptoms of hypothyroidism it is no surprise or shock that this disease affects my sex drive. Here's why...

Symptom # 1: Fatigue. Who wants to get sexy when all your body wants to do is sleep.

Symptom # 2: Unexplained weight gain. Having confidence in how you look is important when it comes to sex. If you feel like a swollen whale chances are you do not feel sexy.

Symptom # 3: Muscle weakness, aches, and stiffness. Makes you feel "bleh". 'Nuff said.

Symptom # 4: Depression. Depression is strongly linked to low libido-the sex hormone.

What can we sufferers of hypothyroidism do to alleviate these symptoms so that we can bring sexy back?

-Exercise! I know that as soon as I walk in my door after a long day at work I will not want to exercise. I will want to lie down on my comfy couch and pass out. So, in order to get my exercise in before I feel like passing the out I go to the gym before going home after work.

-Lose weight! Eat healthy...find a way to make yourself exercise.

-Make sure your thyroid treatment is optimal. Whatever treatment you are receiving make sure to follow the treatment plan as prescribed by your physician. I have to take my medicine every morning at least 1 hour before eating to achieve optimal results.

-Make sure your TSH levels are within normal range. Keep open communication with your physician and go in for TSH testing when prescribed. If you start feeling crappy again let your physician know because that might mean your medication needs to be adjusted.

-If supplements work for you and are approved by your physician...go for it! I do not and have not ever taken any supplements so my knowledge on this subject is subpar.

-Therapy. If you need someone to talk to...find a therapist...or start a blog. :-)

The above information and more can be found at http://thyroid.about.com/cs/symptomsproblems/sexdrive.htm



2 comments:

  1. With PCOS, I can relate to your need to get "sexy" back!! We share alot of similar symptoms! fatigue. weight gain. depression. PCOS comes with the lovely toppings of weird hair growth such as mustaches and beards!! thinning hair!! and acne! Mmmmm hmmmm! Imma sexy beast :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel, congratulations on your blog and thanks for commenting on mine. We hypothyroidians need to stick together! It can make all the difference in the world to read that someone else is having a similar experience and the advice you share is good, exercise, eating well, talking stuff through and not beating ourselves up can make a world of difference to how we feel even when we're ill and not 100%, we can always make the most of what we've got. sending smiles. :)

    ReplyDelete