Saturday, February 16, 2013

So, what is hypothyroidism?

Before I explain what hypothyroidism is and what causes the disorder I would like to introduce myself and my story. I am a 25 year old female who was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about two years ago. Before my diagnosis I was full of energy and in the best shape of my life. I was working two jobs, going to school, taking spinning classes 3-5 times a week, walking my dog every day, and simply enjoying life to the fullest. I graduated from college in December 2010 and shortly after my quality of life began to diminish. I began noticing that my energy levels were slowly decreasing and activities that I enjoyed, such as spinning began to seem like a chore. I lost interest in a lot of things and I started to slowly gain weight. I was so tired and sluggish and depressed. I thought that I was going crazy. Then one day while I was working in a client's home I had to excuse myself several times so that I could go to their bathroom and sit on the side of their bath tub and sob uncontrollably. Whatever was wrong with me was beginning to interfere with my job and important relationships. That is when I decided to call my doctor. During this time I had confided in my mother and my aunt about my symptoms and they both told me that I should ask my doctor to test me for hypothyroidism, which can be detected by simply having your blood drawn. My mother and aunt, as well as my grandmother have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism as well. So, I saw my doctor, talked to her about my family history of hypothyroidism, had my blood drawn, and found out the very next day that I too suffer from hypothyroidism. So, what is hypothyroidism?

What is Hypothyroidism?

According to MayoClinic.com, hypothyroidism is defined as a condition in which your thyroid gland doesn't produce enough of certain important hormones. Hypothyroidism can cause obesity, joint pain, infertility and heart disease.

Symptoms
  • Fatigue
  • Sensitivity to cold
  • Constipation
  • Dry skin
  • Unexplained weight gain
  • Hoarseness
  • Muscle weakness
  • Elevated blood dholesterol level
  • Muscle aches, tenderness, and stiffness
  • Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints
  • Heavier than normal or irregular periods
  • Thinning hair
  • Slowed heart rate
  • Depression
  • Impaired memory

What Causes Hypothyroidism?
  • Autoimmune diseases or disorders, such as Hashimoto's thyroiditis cause your immune system to produce antibodies that attack your own tissues-sometimes this involves your thyroid gland. The antibodies affect the thyroid's ability to produce hormones, which in my own words blows everything out of wack.
  • Treatment of hyperthyroidism. Hyperthyroidism occurs when your thyroid gland produces too much thyroid hormone. When a person is treated for hyperthyroidism sometimes the hormone production is slowed too much and hypothyroidism occurs.
  • Having your thyroid removed through surgery results in permanently having hypothyroidism and having to take medication the rest of your life.
  • Some medications, such as lithium can affect your thyroid gland.
  • Other less common causes of hypothyroidism are congenital disease (babies are born with a defective thyroid gland or none at all), pituitary disorder, pregnancy, or an iodine deficiency.
This information and more can be found at www.mayoclinic.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment