Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Rest of My Story

I was first diagnosed with hypothyroidism on March 2, 2011. The main symptoms that I was experiencing were weight gain, fatigue, depression, sensitivity to cold, dry skin, and constipation. My TSH result was 3.980. The normal range is 0.358-3.740. My test results were slightly above normal and at that time I did not need treatment. I was told to return for more testing 8-10 weeks later. So I went back 8-10 weeks later and on May 17, 2011 I found out that my TSH was at 5.080, which was a lot higher. I was then put on a low dose of levothyroxine-25mcg to be exact. Levothyroxine is a synthetic form of the thyroid hormone thyroxine. I took my medication every morning as instructed and my hormones seemed to level out after a few months. My TSH dropped down to 3.220, which was within normal range. I started to feel a little better and was slowly getting back to my normal self. Less than a year later I started experiencing symptoms of depression. I worried constantly about insignificant matters and I would cry at the drop of a hat. I was confused because I started to feel better a few months after I began treatment for hypothyroidism but the symptoms started to come back. I saw my doctor again in May 2012 and found out that my thyroid had jumped back up to 4.780. My dosage of levothyroxine was increased to 50 mcg and I was put on 20 mg of citalopram to relieve my symptoms of depression. Citalopram is the generic brand of Celexa, which is an antidepressant. After my dosage of levothyroxine was increased to 50 mcg in May 2012 and I started taking antidepressants I started to feel relief of my symptoms. My TSH levels were tested again in July 2012 and my TSH level was at 3.170-normal again! I started working out again at a boxing gym and losing weight and I did not worry about the little things in life anymore. I thought to myself during that time that I might just get back to the way I was before all of this thyroid madness began. BUT...that normalcy was short lived. In October 2012 my sluggishness and fatigue set in. I started gaining the weight I had lost back and I started to lose interest in boxing. I quit going to the boxing gym and all I wanted to do was sleep...all the time. It was a chore for me to stay awake during the day and have enough energy to simply get out and walk my dog, which was something I used to love doing every day only 3 years ago. Around the same time that this started...again...I had just had the depo shot, so I dismissed my symptoms to be side affects of the birth control. However, in January 2013 (last month) I was due to get my TSH levels checked. I found out on January 2, 2013 that my TSH level had jumped up to 5.510, the highest it has ever been. My doctor increased my dosage of levothyroxine to 75mcg. During this time I also discovered that I was experiencing pauses in my breathing during my sleep. My doctor ordered a sleep study and during my sleep study a few weeks ago I found out that I might have mild sleep apnea. So, currently I am waiting for a follow-up appointment to be scheduled to get the results of my sleep study and I have to get my TSH levels checked again next week to see if 75 mcg of levothyroxine is effective. I am still struggling with fatigue and weight gain. I am currently about 20lbs overweight and I am dieting and trying to exercise as much as I can. My fatigue is having a very negative effect on my attempts to lose weight, though. I was so tired this past Friday that I fell asleep at 8pm and slept until 9am the following morning and I STILL felt as if I did not sleep at all. Hopefully I will get more answers soon. I will keep you posted!

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea all of this was going on!! Looking forward to following your blog!!
    I hope that this dose will finally be the one that will work for you long term!!

    ReplyDelete